Eligibility criteria for UGC NET 2018
- 55% aggregate score is must in their Master's degree or equivalent, in subjects like Humanities and Social Sciences, Computer Science etc, from a UGC recognized university/institution.
- The candidates belonging to the OBC-Non Creamy Layer/SC/ST/PWD categories should have completed their Master’s degree or equivalent program with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks to be eligible for UGC NET.
- Applicants who are in the final year of the Master's degree and have appeared or will appear for the qualifying exam for Master’s degree or equivalent program are eligible. This also includes candidates who are waiting for the results of their qualifying exams. However, such candidates will be considered eligible for admission only on a provisional basis, after clearance of their qualifying exams with at least 55% marks (50% for OBC-NCL/SC/ST/PWD).
- Applicants holding a PhD degree and have completed their Master’s exam by 19th September 1991 are also eligible to apply for UGC NET with a relaxation of 5% in the aggregate marks (i.e from 55 % to 50%).
Age Limit for UGC NET 2018 :
- Junior Research Fellowship: The age of the candidate must not exceed 28 years of age as on January 2018 . A relaxation of 5 years is granted to the candidates belonging to OBC/SC/ST/PWD categories as well as to the women candidates. Note that the candidates who have prior experience in the domain of research are also eligible to avail a relaxation equivalent to the time spent on research in their respective subjects during post-graduation, with a maximum limit of 5 years; if they can provide a certificate in support of the same from respective authorities.
- Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit as such for the assistant professor role.
Exemption from UGC NET will be given to those candidates who satisfy the following conditions:
- The candidates, who possess the PhD degree, in accordance with UGC Regulations, 2009, shall be exempted from the minimum eligibility criteria of UGC NET/SELT/SET for the appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities, Colleges, and Institutions.
- NET/SLET/SET will be considered as the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities, Colleges, and Institutions.
- SET Candidates: The candidates who have passed the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility of Assistant Professor, conducted prior to 1st December 2002, are exempted from taking this exam, they are eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India.
- The candidates who have cleared the UGC/CSIR JRF Exam prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in UGC NET.
General Eligibility for UGC NET 2018 :
- Candidates will have to provide 10th & Date Of Birth Certificates for the age proof.
- The age relaxation is also provisioned for the candidates with experience of research (provided they have to obtain a certificate of the same to get the relaxation).
- Relevant Category Certificates are required for Age Relaxation.
- The candidates applying for JRF must have aged below or equal to 28 years.
- There will be no upper age limit for the post of Lecturer/Assistant Professor.
- The candidates will not get any age relaxation of more than 5 years either through one or multiple clauses.
- 5 years of Relaxation will be provided for Women candidates in SC/ST/PwD/OBC.