Eligibility criteria for UGC NET 2018:
- The candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from any UGC recognised university recognised by UGC in subjects such as Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. can appear in UGC NET 2018.
- If the candidates belong to OBC/SC/ST/PWD categories, they should have completed Master’s degree or equivalent program with at least 50% of marks. Else, they can't appear in UGC NET 2018.
- Candidates can appear in the exam even before the results of the qualifying exams are announced. But, they are considered to be eligible only if they have scored a minimum aggregate of 55%in the qualifying exam.
- Candidates holding a PHD degree and who have completed their Master’s exam by 19th September 1992 are also eligible to apply for UGC NET 2018. They are also granted a relaxation of 5% in the aggregate marks (i.e from 55 % to 50%).
Age Limit for UGC NET 2018:
Junior Research Fellowship:
- The age of the candidate must not exceed 28 years as on January 2017 or he is not eligible.
- A relaxation of 5 years is granted to the applicants belonging to OBC/SC/ST/PWD categories as well as to the women candidates.
- Note that the candidates who have prior experience in the domain of research are also eligible to avail a relaxation equivalent to the time spent on research in their respective subjects during post-graduation, with a maximum limit of 5 years; if they can provide a certificate in support of the same from respective authorities.
- There is no upper age limit fixed for the posts of assistant professor.
- Anyone above the age of 28 years is eligible.
Exemption from UGC NET will be given to those candidates who satisfy the following conditions:
- NET/SLET/SET will be considered as the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities, Colleges and Institutions.
- The candidates, who possess the PhD degree, in accordance with UGC Regulations, 2009, shall be exempted from UGC NET. They can apply for the post of assistant professor in any University in India.
- The candidates who have cleared the UGC/CSIR JRF Exam prior to 1989 can also skip UGC NET.
- The candidates who have passed the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC that was conducted prior to 1st December 2002, are exempted from taking UGC NET. Tey can apply for the post of Assistant Professors anywhere in India.
General Eligibility for UGC NET:
- The candidates applying for JRF must be 28 years old or less.
- The SC/ST/PWD/OBC and women candidates will be given 5 years age relaxation in UGC NET.
- No upper age limit for the post of Lecturer/Assistant Professor.
- Age relaxation is also provided to the candidates having experience in the field of Research. (Certificates have to be provided)
- At any cost, age relaxation is not provided for more than 5 years.
- The certificates which would be considered as the proof of age are 10th standard mark sheet and DOB certificate.